Welcome

This blog documents the production of my Kaoss Pad 1 Guitar Modification. The posts appear newest to oldest, so it may be easier to go bottom to top if using it as a guide or reading the whole thing, or just go off the archive navigation below.



Cheers for stopping by, hope its in some way interesting, please feel free to comment!

Tuesday 13 March 2007

Materials Used / Purchased

I'll try to be specific, any eBay links may well have changed or be dead. I didnt include the guitar.

Korg Kaoss Pad 1 (KP-1)
I didn't buy this for this project, the guitar mod idea came after, but still neccesary. A kp-2 would do, as Phil @ unmaintained shows well, but a KP-1 is cheaper, simpler circuit (i believe, although it doesn't make that much difference) and what I had to use.
This cost me £60 including a tenner p&p from an eBay seller that I struck a deal off the record with ;)
CLICK HERE TO SEE AN eBay SEARCH (will include, most likely, various models)

2 x 'DB9 Socket' (Generic 9 Pin Serial Female Connectors)
I had real trouble finding these things. Moved away from eBay. Found an online electronics store based in the UK that sells them, just under a wierd heading. They call them DB9 series which makes sense, and they refer to female as socket, as apposed to plug. Follow this link to find them:
SOCKET: http://www.cavuk.com/product.php?productid=110&cat=0&page=1
PLUG: http://www.cavuk.com/product.php?productid=109&cat=10&bestseller
These 2 came to about £3.50 or £4 including postage.

Solder Sucker (solder remover, desoldering)
I remembered these from secondary school, spring loaded vacuum style sucker that retrieve molten solder while you're desoldering. I was going to attempt without but most guides on the net involved the solder sucker without question so I thought I best buy one off ebay.
Total Price (including p&p): £2.99

5 x Mega-Bright Blue 5mm LED's (15000mcd)
Thought they'd be handy with the screen, and the seller i link below is excellent. He provided quality advice on wiring the components and all round great salesmanship.So buy off him! Includes free resistors to but I bought some 1K's anyway, which are too high for this. (12V would be more suited but Im using 9V bateries).
Sale including postage: £2.74
http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZteltronic123QQssPageNameZSTRKQ3aMEWNQ3aMESOI

Solder Wire - Fine Diametre for SM Components
Got some thicker stuff anyway but incase theres anything really small probably a good idea to have some, cos my other stuff is really really thick.
Sale Price including postage: £1.49

30W Soldering Iron
Not sure how much I trust a 99p soldering iron but, ther was postage too if thats meant to make me feel better. eBay search on soldering iron is below.
Sale price (inc. postage): £3.98
http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=soldering+iron

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.