Adam's KP-1 Softbody Budget Expertise-free Guitar Mod
This blog is basically intended, in its most basic sense, as a documentation of my current project.
I intend to mount the Kaoss Pad 1 (KP-1) touch pad xy controller to my guitar, and modify the electronics on both the touch screen and the seperated remainder of the device such that a serial port will connect them together when required.
It is based directly on the work of Phil's Kaoss Pad Mod (unmaintained.com) which was based on the Manson guitar I believe.
- I'm 19. Lack any previous experience of either guitar modifications or electronics.
- I'm on a budget. A real budget £15. I'm sure many people share this position.
- I don't really have any specialist equiptment, all soldering stuff and extras (except the KP and my guitar) came off ebay for about £15 in total, includin stuff for the LED's.
- This isn't a KP-2 like Phil used. It's a KP-1. Cheaper alternative, hopefully less complex. But good to have a reference to it working with the KP-1 cos much of this I had to guess.
- I plan to purchase all required extras off eBay. I'll try to add handy product item listings and search keywords cos this way quite time consuming for me to figure out myself!
- I couldn't find a chisel so I hacked my softbody Tanglewood Starfire LP Copy with a flatbladed screwdriver and a now blistered hand. IT CAN BE DONE! The guitar bit that is, at least.
So I'll post properly each time I can be bothered to document. I'm actually part way through at the minute (sepearted 2 parts and hacked guitar, made makeshift cover). So i'll probably be changing my tenses all the time and posting retrospectively to a point.
Cheers for visiting I hope its interesting, I'll try to add images and other stuff when I grab the time.